top of page
  • Writer's pictureBelinda Lane

Discussion: Where is your balance?

      By: Chiara Noble

October 7, 2022

National Work-Life week is another opportunity for employers to support the health and wellbeing of their employees and promote a healthy work-life balance. We observed during the second week in October each year.

This week highlights the importance of creating a healthy balance between our working and our personal lives.

Employers can host events to promote this, such as workshops, webinars, or fun events and activities for staff wellbeing.

According to

60% of employees believe they have a good work-life balance.

77% of employees have experienced burnout at least once in their current jobs.

72% of workers believe work-life balance is a very important factor when choosing a job

57% of job-seekers say a poor work-life balance is a deal-breaker when they’re considering a new job.

Studying the information above leads me to believe that overall, we simply do not have a healthy work life balance. As I am reflecting on my 15 years of Property Management, 10 of those years I’m sure were spent not only on a poor work life balance. Being overworked and underpaid. I can truly relate to this. How many of us have missed important events like baby showers, weddings, birthday parties, kids’ extracurricular activities because of having to work? I’m sure that every reader has at experienced this at some time.

We must do better. I too am guilty of either being afraid to ask for time off or concerned with the amount of work that will await me because of taking that time. We are rarely taking time off, and when we do, we are often checking emails and doing minor projects from outside of the office? Well, what is the point of taking a day off, if it’s truly not a day OFF? We truly need to get away from that. Time is something that we cannot get back, and life is truly too short to not be able to enjoy ourselves.

I read an article that explained how many of us who retire at 62 (some much longer). Only to spend the rest of our days unable to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Some must come out of retirement and returning to work, simply not being able to afford to not work. How many of you reading this can honestly say that you are able to manage work life balance effectively? According to the same site ( as of 2021, 60% of people say they can. That’s leaves a whopping 40% who are struggling.

Work life balance is becoming more and more a deal-breaker when considering taking on new jobs or roles. I know for me, spending so many late nights and Saturdays at the office, even traveling out of town for work on multiple occasions, became both overwhelming and tedious. Many people aren’t even stopping for meal breaks because they are too busy, or feel stressed at the thought of getting behind. Although we are often compensated, I don’t believe that there is enough money worth missing out on being present for other things. Not only that, but what about self-care? If you spend most of your time working, then any extra time that you may have goes towards household chores, social activities, etc. Where is your time to rest? When is your time to relax? Your time to unwind and just “be”.

Employees who say they have high stress levels spend almost 50% more on healthcare costs than those who aren’t under so much strain. Poor work life balance is making us sick and costing us more in the long run. More money from medical expenses, not getting paid for missed time. Having a work-life balance means fulfilling your work commitments while still having the time and energy to fulfill your personal commitments. Some ways that we can improve our work life balance. By taking vacation, personal, and mental health days, taking a lunch break. Avoid coming in early and staying late wherever possible, and setting clear boundaries and sticking to them. I hope you enjoyed this information, and if you struggle in this area, be sure to follow some tips/suggestions. Whatever you do, always be sure to take care of you!

Thank you for joining me for Friday at Sundown. Remember… Just Breathe!

Cat's In The Cradle - YouTube

(Disclaimer: We do not own the rights to the music in this video)

About the Writer:

Chiara A. Noble: Is a visionary, a woman of many talents who wears many hats. She is an ordained minister, wife, mother, daughter, sister. A published author and the co-host of Victory Talk, a virtual talk show centered around helping people to grow, speak and live a victorious life. She is a certified mental health advocate and future life coach. She has faced many trials/tribulations but lives by the saying “storms make trees take deeper roots.”



Facebook: Key Alicia

Instagram: Key_alicia_


Mental Health America | Homepage | Mental Health America (

Mental Health Month | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Home |

bottom of page